Sunday 5 February 2012

Fish 'n' Chips

My goodness it seems ages since I made this. Every now and then we treat ourselves to a friday night dinner of take out fish and chips. But there it was in the book, so it had to be done. I'm not confident using the deep fat fryer so I had to have Mark on hand to help me out. I think I had too many safety films drummed into me while I was at primary school about chip fans going on fire and the firemen having to come out, along with the death scene at an electric station where the boy kicks his football in and dies trying to retrieve it. Well it worked for me, scared me out of using fryers for the rest of my life! Anyway, we have a deep fat fryer, Tesco Value, which doesn't fill you with confidence, but it does the job. It's a pretty simple dish to make up, mix up the batter dip in the fish and fry, alongside cooking your chips, also deep fried.

Of course, this would be no ordinary batter, we're talking about Lorraine here, so it's beer battered fish and chips. I do know that bubbles make a good batter, along with cold bubbles (mmm champagne batter??!!) but because of my fear of the fryer I don't think I cooked them for long enough. It still tasted nice but the batter was slightly soggy in places. But the most important part of this meal on this particular day was the lovely excuse to have a pint of cold beer to go with it, well I had to finish the bottle!!

No comments:

Post a Comment